trying to use SHA256 on hostapd

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Feb 19 09:53:10 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:01:23PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 20:14 -0800, David wrote:
> > but trying to use SHA-256 like this
> > wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK-SHA256       produces errors when I start hostap

> You need to enable CONFIG_IEEE80211W in the hostapd .config file for
> WPA-PSK-SHA256 to be recognized.

In addition, you will actually need to enable CONFIG_IEEE80211R=y to get
this working properly assuming you are using anything older than the
current snapshot from the development tree. It should also be noted that
a configuration that enables only WPA-PSK-SHA256 will be quite limiting
since most (well, more or less all) deployed client devices do not
support it.