problem with iPhone and Samsung mobiles

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Feb 18 05:57:40 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 01:41:14PM +0100, Tamas Selmeci wrote:

> But there are problems: two mobile phones fail to surf the net. These
> phones are Samsung i780 and Apple iPhone.

> All the hostapd logging facilities are on (I'm watching the syslog).
> Have been tried with compat-ath9k-20090125 and compat-ath9k-20090211,
> nothing changed. Similarly, Atheros 5416 and 9160 behaved the same.

I don't have either Samsung i780 or iPhone, but I would expect that iPod
Touch has very similar wlan implementation with iPhone, so I should be
able to test this with that. I'm mostly using AR9280, but I would expect
the issue be more likely in power save mode processing and mac80211.
Anyway, I can also test with AR5416 if no problems show up with the
newer AR9280.

> Do you have any idea what could be wrong? Why is there problems with
> iPhone and Samsung i780? I was unable to figure out. Both phone receive
> the correct DNS, gateway and IP data. If my DNS server or DHCP server
> would be wrong then how could other devices work seamlessly?

Quite a few mobile devices have shown odd issues with power save mode in
general, so that would be my first assumption on what could be causing
problems here. Usually this means that using a wireless sniffer to
capture the frames is more or less the first thing to do.. If you can do
that, it could speed up figuring out what is happening. Like I
mentioned, I should able to do this with iPod Touch, but if there is any
different behavior in iPhone or Samsung i780, I don't have an easy way
to reproduce it myself.