Multiple BSSIDs with encryption method failed with BroadCom wireless driver

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Dec 28 04:36:33 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 05:34:26PM +0800, sun keyong wrote:

> I wrote the adaptor of BCM driver with Hostapd, and the hostapd can support
> the bcm driver with one bssid.

OK.

> But I want to set up two BSSIDs with encryption method, the Hostapd can only
> support first one with encryption, cliet cannot associate the other one.

Are you sure the driver you use supports this?

> I try to use Madwifi driver with Atheros chipset, I configure two BSSIDs,
> and startup the hostapd, the first BSSID with WPA encryption method, the
> second BSSID with WPA2 encryption, the client can associate the first BSSID
> successfully, but the client cannot associate the second BSSID.
> I don't know why, dose hostapd support this or not?

hostapd supports multiple BSSIDs internally (bss=<ifname> option) with
mac80211-based drivers. madwifi does not use this design; with it, one
would create the interfaces first and then run hostapd for each created
interface separately (i.e., not using bss=<ifname>, but multiple
hostapd.conf files).