Problem with BSS properties

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Dec 26 00:28:46 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 05:07:17PM -0600, Dan Williams wrote:
> If we really want a complete D-Bus interface, we *have* to keep both old
> + new around to take a difference between the two and push out the
> PropertiesChanged signal.  I don't really know what Jouni will think
> about that, but I don't see any other way to get a complete change list
> (including IEs, which are the major memory user).
>
> While IEs are nice to have, if Jouni is really concerned about memory
> usage we can ignore IE changes for now and just do limited set of
> properties.  But eventually I think we pretty much need everything.

This really has to be a configurable option, i.e., wpa_supplicant will
need to work without requiring there to be two copies of full scan
results in memory. I haven't checked D-Bus resource requirements in
general, but unless shown otherwise, I would assume it can be used in
relatively low-powered devices, too, and it could also be useful to have
an option to disable the scan results PropertiesChanged signal while
still leaving in some other parts of D-Bus code.

Of course this does not apply to any of the modern laptop/desktop
systems where 200 kB of memory is not really anything and as such, I
have nothing against wpa_supplicant doing the comparisons in general as
long as it does not break some of the other cases where wpa_supplicant
is used.