WPA supplicant in adhoc mode

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Dec 22 01:18:52 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 02:44:34PM -0600, LAMBA Jaideep wrote:
> I am running into the MLME-REPLAYFAILURE issues with wpa_supplicant in
> adhoc mode with madwifi drivers.

> My configuration file looks like
> #IBSS/ad-hoc network with WPA-NONE/TKIP

WPA-None is a horrible hack which does not support sequence number
updates and as such can easily result in replay protecting dropping more
or less all frames.

> This goes on for some time and then the two devices can talk together.

This is quite expected behavior with WPA-None. Once you've transmitted
enough frames, the devices catch up with whatever they thought was the
last used seq# and start accepting frames again.

> Can somebody please point me to what am I missing here.

The part that WPA-None is broken by design and should really not be
used.. ;-)