WPA-PSK on Thinkpad T40

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Dec 16 03:20:13 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 01:04:03AM +0100, Stephen Bosch wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad T40 with Windows installed on it. I would like to
> swap the hard disk out and run Gentoo instead.

Which version of Windows are you using (including possible service packs
and WLAN related hotfixes)? Which WLAN card are using and which Linux
kernel and wpa_supplicant version?

> The WLAN here uses a 26 character hex psk, but it is most definitely
> WPA-PSK, and not WEP. I confirmed this with:

26 characters of hex is quite an odd choice with WPA, but it would be
the exact correct length of a 104-bit WEP key.. Anyway, assuming this is
for WPA, it cannot be the full PSK which would be 64 characters of hex.
It could be the passphrase, but based on your messages, that did not
work either.

Instead of trying to figure out how Windows handles an odd network key,
I would suggest asking whoever is operating the AP to tell what exactly
that key is (i.e., how was the AP configured)..