hostapd LEAP support

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Sep 11 12:38:26 PDT 2008

Paresh Sawant wrote:
> I'm trying to do WPA2 enterprise association using EAP-LEAP with
> hostapd. Hostapd is using madwifi driver on Linux.

hostapd does not support use of LEAP since LEAP does not behave like
normal EAP methods (it reverses roles of server and peer in the middle
of authentication).

> It seems since EAP authenticator state machine does NOT accept the
> EAP-Request Packet, it discards it.

And that is by design to follow EAP definition.

> Is there a way or patch to perform EAP-LEAP authentication with hostapd?

Well, almost everything is possible ;-), but I'm not aware of such patch
existing, so this would require some new work.

- Jouni