Details about the -b option of wpa_supplicant.

Nicolas de Pesloüan nicolas.2p.debian
Fri Nov 21 15:30:36 PST 2008

Hi,

Can someone explain the exact expected effects of the -b option of
wpa_supplicant.

I'm currently trying to bond (using the Linux bonding module) an
Ethernet NIC and a Wifi adapter.

Now that I found the -b option of wpa_supplicant, things seems to go
better. But when the wifi interface is not the active slave of bond0,
the Wifi link drop down from time to time, and fail to reestablish.

For as far as I understand, the -b option is required to be able to
*receive* the frames involved in the link establishment, because those
frames are made available on the master interface not on the slave
interface. Am I right ?

If right, is the master interface used to *send* frames involved in link
establishment ?

If not, why having the wifi slave interface not the active slave of
bond0 is a problem ?

I found a small script that use wpa_cli to ensure every second that the
wifi link is up, and force the wifi interface to become the active one
when the link is down, to give a chance to wpa_supplicant to reestablish
the link, then go back to the previous active slave.

This might work, but by design, cause some lose of packets every time
the  wifi link fall down, even if the Ethernet link is up and running at
the same time.

Any advices ?

	Nicolas.