wpa_supplicant-0.6.5 (Wired 802.1x authentication)

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Nov 14 13:04:56 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:42:31PM +0530, Renu Saxena wrote:

> Could any one let me know Can I use use wpa_supplicant-0.6.5 supplicant for 802.1x wired authentication on Linux.

Yes, the driver_wired.c (-Dwired on command line and
CONFIG_DRIVER_WIRED=y in .config for build configuration) should support
wired IEEE 802.1X with most drivers.

>   I will appriciate if some one can point me a simple tutorial and study material on build process of "wpa_supplicant-0.6.5" on Linux.

cd wpa_supplicant
cp defconfig .config
make

>    Do i need to install any other network driver for this supplicant or it will work on any existing network driver on Linux.

It should work with most drivers, but there may be some differences in
how reception of multicast EAPOL frames is set, so I would recommend
testing this before assuming it works with any driver. Please also take
a look at the example configuration file (wpa_supplicant.conf) and the
comments it has about wired networks.