Segmentation Faults in hostapd with NetBSD

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Jun 16 10:58:09 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:18:41AM -0500, David Dudley wrote:

> About every couple of hours or so, the program segfaults.  When I
> restart it, it will segfault 2 or 3 times upon restarting (first
> quickly, in a second or two, next more slowly, maybe in 10 seconds, then
> perhaps again, perhaps not), before assuming a stable operation for
> another period of time.
>
> This is on NetBSD 4, on a Soekris net5501, with an Atheros network
> card.

Do you have possibility of running a debugger on that board or getting a
core dump for remote analysis? I would like to get bit more detailed
information on what exactly is crashing the program and getting a
backtrace or even the current function at the time of the segfault would
be quite helpful.

> Would updating to the latest version possibly cure the problem?  I know
> that 0.6.2 is not the latest, so would be glad to take that route if it
> might be an improvement.

Well, it is of course possible that a bug that is causing this has been
fixed in 0.6.3, but since I do not have any idea what exactly is
triggering the crash, I don't know how likely it would be for this to be
the case.

> PS: My next question is going to be on how to authorize Windows XP
> clients to use the system.  Whenever I try to authenticate one, it says
> something about needing a certificate?

If you are using PEAP with Windows XP, you would need to configure a
trusted CA certificate on the client to allow it to authenticate the
authentication server. For a quick, but not really secure, test, you
could temporarily disable the server certificate validation in the
client and see whether that removes this message about the certificate.