wpa_supplicant service fails to autostart on Fedora 8

Dan Williams dcbw
Sat Jan 19 09:59:45 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 02:04 -0800, Reik Red wrote:
> Hmm, I found something that looks fishy. In my system,
>
> S10network
>
> is started before
>
> S28wpa_supplicant
>
> Since S10network starts both eth0 and wlan0 (in turn),
> it makes sense that the subtask dhclient wlan0 fails,
> because wlan0 cannot really be up before wpa_supplicant is.

Right; the latest update only ensures that wpa_supplicant is started
after messagebus.

The problem with making network depend on wpa_supplicant is that this
breaks the network-mounted-usr case, because wpa_supplicant is installed
in /usr.  Nothing has been done to work through this yet, there are two

1) Make network-mounted-usr people fend for themselves and don't keep
trying to preserve that use-case from 1992

2) Add the bits to the network service to "suggest" that it start the
supplicant if it's available

You can't make the network service have a hard dependency on the
supplicant because that would result in an error if the user didn't have
the wpa_supplicant package installed, nor can you really make the
sysvinit package depend on wpa_supplicant either, forcing everyone to
install the supplicant even if they don't need it.

> Am I blowing smoke here? I'll be the first to admit that
> I'm no expert on init, but this looks strange.
>
> Hope someone can give a hint, I'm a bit lost here. Should wpa_supplicant
> be started even before S10?

Not for everyone, and not as a hard dependency of the network service.
I forget the actual keyword, but try looking around for the advisory
requires option for new LSB initscripts.

Dan