Hostapd and Madwifi not working togeather

Jim Dancer wecgenius2000
Fri Dec 12 16:19:31 PST 2008

I am trying to create a "simple" wireless bridge and to control access
on it using Shorewall! I am using an Atheros card so I have followed the
directions to obtain the madwifi drivers from source and compiled them
using module-assistant.This process works perfectly and after installing
the bridge-tools I have a working bridge.

/etc/network/interfaces

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet manual
pre-up wlanconfig ath0 destroy
per-up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
post-down wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wireless-mode master
wireless-channel 11
wireless-essid twister

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
address 192.168..253
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.254
bridge_ports ath0 eth0

This statements create a perfectly working bridge for my wireless
clients but has absolutely no security. In order to add WPA or WPA2 I
have installed hostapd. and the following additional configuration
statement for the bridge

pre-up /usr/sbin/hostapd -B /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf has the following changes to the base
configuration - this is nothing very fancy but at least it should work.

interface=ath0
bridge=br0
driver=madwifi
ssid=twister

I have tried to compile hostapd from sources and make sure to provide a
link to the madwifi source but even this still gives the following error.

ioctl [SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
madwifi driver initialization failed
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
failed to bring up br0

Does anyone have any idea why this is not working?