Compiling hostapd from git with libnl also from git...

john dowd jdowdster
Tue Dec 9 08:19:58 PST 2008

Jouni,

Perhaps there's something I don't understand about the release
numbers. The library
libnl 1.1-21 appears to be the latest released to my distro opensuse
11.0. (It's what I see when I go into the "yast" s/w install tool and
check the version). I get the following errors when I link using it:

/usr/lib/libnl-genl.so: undefined reference to `__flags2str'
/usr/lib/libnl-genl.so: undefined reference to `nl_dump_line'
/usr/lib/libnl-genl.so: undefined reference to `nl_cache_alloc_and_fill'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [hostapd] Error 1

What am I missing here?

Can I use the git API to download the libnl version that I require?

It's very frustrating to trace this stuff since if you do a "google"
search on using master mode for my particular h/w I get a lot of
information that until you really look into it, is in some cases 3
years old and is therefore obsolete. I understood that I required the
latest kernel being used by the wireless development team which is the
2.6.28-rc5 kernel. I then needed the latest hostapd 0.6.6 and the
latest libnl from git.

Can you perhaps lend some clarity to my situation. If you can perhaps
just tell me which hostapd and libnl library versions that I require
it would be really helpful.

Cheers!!