wpa_gui qt4 tray mode defaults

Kel Modderman kel
Mon Dec 8 08:45:29 PST 2008

On Monday 08 December 2008 23:52:26 Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 12:02:43AM +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
>
> > What's your thought about making wpa_gui-qt4 start in the tray be default when
> > the local system supports it?
>
> I think I like the current behavior more.

Fair enough, thats cool.

> Are there other applications that by default hide themselves in the tray?

Yep, heaps of em. For example kpowersave (power related daemon), touchfreeze
(touchpad thingy) and kmix (the sound mixer app, but it has a kde specific
configuration item to have it started in the tray, by default it opens in
foreground).

With some extra hacking, possibly a ~/.wpa_cli.conf could determine default
mode, but thats too much work and I can't think of anything yet that would also
warrant storing a users preferences for wpa_cli in a file, its a pretty simple
app after all.

> When I start wpa_gui, I
> kind of expect the window to pop on the screen (and same for most other
> GUI programs). I understand the use for -t option when starting, e.g.,
> as part of X startup, but those uses can easily (I hope) add the command
> line parameter.

Yeah, however desktop session management usually just calls the app
without the extra cli parameters (at least KDE3 does) at start of saved
session. That's their limitation I guess.

Thanks, Kel.