Help on hostp acting as RADIUS Server

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jul 27 08:07:27 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:39:47AM +0530, Preethi Mohan wrote:

>   I want to configure the code to act as a backend authenticator (ie
> authentication using a RADIUS server) .Instead of an external RADIUS
> Server,can I use the RADIUS Server with hostap for this purpose.Is it
> possible to use a single instance of hostap to act as both back end
> authenticator and RADIUS Server for that authenticator.Or else do I have to
> run two instances of hostap ie one acting as backend authenticator and
> another one acting as RADIUS Server.Can anyone please help me out.

Yes, you can configure one instance to act as both the authenticator for
the local wireless radio and as a RADIUS server for other devices. Both
cases share the same configuration for EAP (including the eap_server=1
to enable EAP server functionality). If you then add radius_server_*
options, the RADIUS server functionality will be enabled. You can leave
out the auth_server_* parameters since RADIUS is not actually used for
the internal authentication case at all.