WPA wifi. Help please! (I am desperate)

David david.maillists
Thu Jul 26 15:40:49 PDT 2007

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I was discussing with the Internet provider about this point (you know,
they have a script and when they hear the word "Linux" they hide under the
table). They told me that it is right, but that WPA keys can be shorter than
64 characters as well...

The router is in WPA mode, because I configured it so. Only WPA, not "WEP or
WPA". Look that:

# iwlist ath0 scan
ath0      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: **:**:**:**:**:**
                    ESSID:"wifihome" (I am changing it for privacy)
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Quality=47/70  Signal level=-48 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                              24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
                              12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
                    Extra:bcn_int=100
                    IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

Maybe a hint can come from the fact that, in Windows XP, introducing the 26
character key works OK.

Can you help me further, if possible?

Thank you.

David