Where to start?

haldor haldor
Sat Jan 20 09:53:41 PST 2007

I want to download the latest firmware to my mini pci card, but when i
type

[root at blubb 1.7.4]#  prism2_srec -v eth3 pk010101.hex sf010704.hex

It says

Could not read wlan PDA. This requires PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT
definition in driver/module/hostap_config.h.

Well, i found the file hostap_config.h at two places on my system:

1.Kernel sources:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-5mdv/drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap_config.h
2.In the hostap driver package downloaded from the web:
hostap-driver-0.4.9/driver/modules/hostap_config.h

In the kernel sources, where download support already was enabled:
/* Include code for downloading firmware images into volatile RAM. */
#define PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT

In the downloaded hostap driver package:
/* Include code for downloading firmware images into volatile RAM. */
#define PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT.

I guess the downloaded hostap driver package just is the same as i the
kernel sources, so i stayes with the kernel sources.

different things i tried:

beeing in /usr/src/linux - i ran
# make modules and make modules_install
# modprobe hostap; modprobe hostap_pci

but still, this gives me the error "... This requires
PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT ..."

I was unsure if modprobe uses the correct modules, so i went to

/lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdvcustom/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hostap (i
guess this is where make modules_install pu the driver, at least
according to the timestamp of the files there...)

there i find the following files

hostap_cs.ko  hostap.ko  hostap_pci.ko  hostap_plx.ko

In this directory, i typed

# modprobe ./hostap.ko

but i says

FATAL: Module ./hostap.ko not found.

I'm really at the end of my knowledge. Please help me...
with kind regards
haldor