no suitable AP found

Pavel Roskin proski
Fri Jan 19 08:48:24 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 13:26 +0100, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> hello,
>
> like some people before me i get an error while connecting to a wpa-tkip-
> encrypted net using the following components:
> * wpa_supplicant-0.5.7 (with driver hostap)
> * linux-wlan-ng-0.2.5
> * d-link dwl-122 or netgear ma-111
> * linux kernel 2.6.16.29
>
> i do not really know whether the problem is at the wlan-ng-drivers or at
> wpa_supplicant; wpa_supplicant says the driver is not wpa-capable. however,
> i've heard of the wlan-ng drivers running with wpa_supplicant.

If you refer to any information, it's better that you provide the
reference, so that others can check it too.  You could have
misunderstood something.  I don't think linux-wlan-ng is WPA capable, at
least in the form it's released publicly.

> on the other side, wpa_supplicant does not seem to recognize wpa-encrypted
> nets (the one i want to use is the "FritzBox..." thing, and it is
> wpa-encrypted, other windows-machines are connected to it using wpa),
> the command "wpa_supplicant -dd -w -Dhostap -iwlan0" says:

"-Dhostap" would work only with hostap driver.  You may have better luck
with "-Dwext", although I'm not sure linux-wlan-ng can do even that.

Alternatively, use hostap driver included with the kernel.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin