hostapd memory leak when connecting to Linux wpa_supplicant

Ken Roberts ken
Wed Dec 19 09:32:39 PST 2007

Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 10:26:48AM -0800, Ken Roberts wrote:
>

>> After the first halt, I did the following:
>>
>> root at host# while /bin/true; do grep ^Mem /proc/meminfo ; echo "Sleep 2
>> seconds"; sleep 2; done
>>
>> and watched the Memfree entry drop like a stone
>>

> That doesn't sound like something that would indicate anything
> particular about hostapd. Unless there is a clear sign that the hostapd
> process is using more memory, I would take a look at the madwifi driver
> that is taking care of associations.

Except the memory issue only popped up when I started hostapd. When I
ran the same system as a station and wpa_supplicant, there were no
memory issues - just connectivity issues between wpa_supplicant and
hostapd.

Another issue that may be indicative of a non-hostapd issue is the flash
drive I'm using may be getting flakey as well (crc errors on loading the
kernel from a warm boot, for one).

At any rate, I updated the madwifi driver to the latest revision (r3065)
and it appears to have fixed the memory and connectivity problem - still
looking at some connectivity issues, but I'm still checking on that.