EAP peer implementation from wpa_supplicant as a library

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Dec 9 09:42:07 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 06:01:24PM +0100, Alan DeKok wrote:

>   With minor Makefile hacks to create "libeap.so" rather than
> "libeap.a".  Yes, that does appear to work.

>   rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type eap2
> auth: type "eap2"
> EAP-TLV: TLV Result - Success - requested Success
> ==> Success

>  :)

That looks quite interesting combination ;-). Nice to hear it worked.

> > The example code is available from my Git repository at http://w1.fi/ in
> > a new top level directory, eap_example. This makes it easier for me to
> > find areas in the interface between EAP and EAPOL (or other protocol
> > using EAP) and I would expect that some of the interfaces will change
> > during 0.6.x development to clear these, so please do not expect the
> > interfaces to be fixed at this point.
>
>   Hmm...

While implementing the eap_example code, some areas started looking
worse than I had hoped for and I think I will end up cleaning the
interface a bit to make it less complex and to require less code in
whatever is using the EAP state machine. Though, this is more on the EAP
peer side, so that part may not touch the particular example you showed
above. I already did some cleanup on the server side some time ago when
updating hostapd EAPOL/EAP state machine interfaces.

In addition, I have a longstanding to-do item on implementing a generic
buffer data structure for dynamic memory buffers. If I end up finishing
this finally, that would change the EAP interfaces from passing in
pointer to u8* and length to using a pointer to struct wpabuf which
would have accessor functions for getting pointers/length for the
included data.