Can't get hostap & wpasupplicant working on Thinkpad A31p with Prism 2.5 Wifi

Brian Hutchinson b.hutchman
Sun Aug 26 10:25:01 PDT 2007

I didn't see anything that jumped out at me comparing your .config to mine.
I messed around trying the oronico driver and had the same response.

I did a ifup wlan0 --verbose and I noticed that I didn't see any wpa
commands ... didn't look like it tried to scan, associate or anything.  It
started wpasupplicant and then went right to trying dhclient to get a DHCP
address.

I killed the wpasupplicant that was running and then restarted it again
mannually like this:

 wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dhostap
-wdd &

This showed that device associated!!!

Next I started dhclient to get an IP for the interface using:

dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid -lf
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.wlan0.leases wlan0

It received an IP address and I'm sending this email via the wireless
interface!  I also updated the station firmware to 1.8.4 trying to get
everything to work and that didn't appear to matter either.

So something is wrong with the /etc/network/interfaces way of getting WPA
going in Debian.  Maybe my device block for wlan0 isn't right but I followed
the wpasupplicant README and it looks good to me.

At least I can make it connect now!

Thanks,

Brian