Trying to connect to network with LEAP authentication

James J. Ramsey jjramsey_6x9eq42
Wed Sep 27 18:56:17 PDT 2006

Ok, this is my configuration on the Windows XP side,
from ThinkVantage Access Connections, version 4.12(a
Thinkpad utility for configuring the wireless):

TCP/IP Settings
===============

DHCP enabled? Yes
Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix? No
Register connection's DNS suffix in registration? No
Register connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration?
Yes
Enable LMHOSTS Lookup? Yes
NetBIOS setting? "Default"

Wireless settings
=================

Network name (SSID): tsunami
Connection type: Access point
Wireless mode: Auto
Security encryption: 802.1x/LEAP
Data encryption: WEP
Allow fast roaming (CCKM)? No
Include windows logon with domain name? No

On Ubuntu, this is now my config file:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

ctrl_interface_group=0

eapol_version=1

ap_scan=1

fast_reauth=1

network={
	ssid="tsunami"
	key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
	eap=LEAP
	identity="jjr19"
	password="xxxxxxxx"
}

I've used the above config file with the stock
ipw3945-1.0.5 driver from Ubuntu Dapper, and with the
latest stable Intel driver, 1.1.0, compiled against
ieee80211-1.1.12. I got exactly the same results.

This is the script that, AFAIK, is supposed to load
the driver, modified with an option for extra
debugging:

install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
ipw3945 debug=0x637ff; sleep 0.5 ; \
	/sbin/ipw3945d-$(uname -r) --quiet
remove  ipw3945 /sbin/ipw3945d-$(uname -r) --kill ; \
	/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove ipw3945

However, I saw no extra output from dmesg or in any of
the logs in /var/log.