Cisco CCKM (CCXv4)

John Howe atticman
Fri Sep 15 10:04:31 PDT 2006

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I hope I'm sending this to the right group.
If not, please let me know of a more appropriate group on this site.  Also,
please let me know of any other groups that are around relating to my
questions below.

First off, I'm working with a fully functional supplicant based on CCXv3.
Specifically, I need to implement CCXv4 (S50) only for now (S58 will come a
little later).  CCXv3 states that CCKM only should work with LEAP and
EAP-FAST.  The CCXv4 states that CCKM should also work with EAP-FAST (S58
enhancement), EAP-TLS, PEAP-GTC and PEAP-MSCHAPv2.

Since I'm rather new to authentication, I'm not sure how CCKM and these
other authentications are related.  I have a strong background in
802.11(a/b/g) in writing embedded code and devices drivers for Windows and
Linux, but my authentication experience is somewhat limited.

I know that for fast roaming, CCKM allows a quick re-authentication with
another AP on the same subnet as the WDS.  But that is about the limit of my
knowledge.

Here are my questions:

1)       Would someone please give me a high-level overview (very brief) how
these authentication (CCXv3 and CCXv4) types are related to CCKM?

2)       I understand that CCKM is a Cisco replacement for WPA, but I'm not
sure how to handle these additional authentication types with CCKM.  Does
CCKM need to know about the various authentication types?

3)       Does anybody know of any good books or online literature that will
help me understand what I'm supposed to be doing?  I would like to be able
get a book at Amazon if possible.

Thanks in advanced! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-John H