Wireless card not working

ph35sm at free.fr ph35sm
Sun Oct 8 12:02:19 PDT 2006

Quoting Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com>:

> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 18:00 +0200, ph35sm at free.fr wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I need your help and hope that someone may explain what happens.
> > let me explain :
> > 1) three years ago i set up a linux firewall with a SMC wifi card as a AP
> using
> >  the software hostap driver. No problem and everything works fine.
> > 2) this month i change the hardware from pentium 166 Mhz to PIII 1Ghz :-)
> and
> >  install fedora core 5 and the same wifi card. As I want to download
> software
> > from hostap.epitest.fi I understand that the kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 i
> have,
> > already have all the necessairy modules, but I can't configure the card as
> AP.
>
> FC5 has the hostap driver _and_ the orinoco driver, and both work for a
> subset of the same hardware.  They are likely fighting for the card.
> Add these lines to your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file:
>
> orinoco
> orinoco_cs
> orinoco_pci
> orinoco_nortel
> orinoco_plx
> orinoco_tmd
>
> Dan
>
> > result of command :
> > # lspci -v|grep SMC
> > 01:0d.0 Network controller: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] SMC2602W
> EZConnect
> > / Addtron AWA-100 / Eumitcom PCI WL11000  (rev 02)
> >         Subsystem: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] SMC2602W EZConnect /
> Addtron
> > AWA-100 / Eumitcom PCI WL11000
> >         Subsystem: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] Unknown device 1255
> >
> > [root at localhost ~]# iwconfig
> > lo        no wireless extensions.
> >
> > eth0      no wireless extensions.
> >
> > Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 20
> > of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
> > Some things may be broken...
> >
> > eth1      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"stmalo"  Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
> >           Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Cell: 02:23:EF:CC:0D:AD
> >           Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s   Sensitivity:1/3
> >           Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
> >           Encryption key:off
> >           Power Management:off
> >           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
> >           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:2  Rx invalid frag:0
> >           Tx excessive retries:21662  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
> >
> > eth2      no wireless extensions.
> >
> > sit0      no wireless extensions.
> >
> > # iwconfig eth1 mode Master
> > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> >     SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.
> >
> > Why is it not possible to configure the card as an AP (master) ?
> >
> > The modules are loaded :
> > # lsmod |grep host
> > hostap_plx             58517  0
> > hostap                113737  1 hostap_plx
> [...]

Hi,

I have added :
blacklist orinoco
blacklist orinoco_cs
blacklist orinoco_pci
blacklist orinoco_nortel
blacklist orinoco_plx
blacklist orinoco_tmd
to the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

i use modprobe orinoco and the result of lsmod | egrep "orino|hostap" is
orinoco_pci             7885  0
hostap_plx             58517  0
hostap                113737  1 hostap_plx
ieee80211_crypt         6849  1 hostap
orinoco_plx             7245  0
orinoco                40533  2 orinoco_pci,orinoco_plx
hermes                  8129  3 orinoco_pci,orinoco_plx,orinoco

but the following command do not still success :
#iwconfig eth1  mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

Is there another files to populate  like /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist ?
What commands may i use to identify the problem ? since this card have already
work using kernel 2.4 and the hostap driver ?

Thanks for your help.
Philippe