Configuring wpa_supplicant for wired network

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Nov 6 20:45:21 PST 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 10:21:27PM -0800, Mahantesh P wrote:

> I want to use WPA supplicant on wired LAN (Ethernet card) and use PEAP
> authentication. My PC is connected to a switch with 802.1x capabilities
> there is wireless access point.

> network={
>
> ssid="university"---------------------------------------------------------?

You must not set SSID for wired connection.

>    scan_ssid=0-------------------------------------------------------?

This does not matter and can be left out.

>    proto=WPA-------------------------------------what should i set this
> to     "EAPOL"??

proto is not used with key_mgmt=IEEE8021X, so it can be removed.

>    key_mgmt=IEEE8021X

pairwise and group can be removed since they are not used with
IEEE8021X.

> Thank you very much, Please respond and give your suggestions.

And like Dan mentioned, you will need to add ap_scan=0 to the global
section.