wpa_cli event handling (revisited)

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Tue May 30 02:18:54 PDT 2006

Roy Marples wrote:
> On Saturday 27 May 2006 08:53, Kel Modderman wrote:
>> And many thanks for your advice, Roy. Your fine "software engineering"
>> advice coupled with the new id_str identifier from Jouni is more than
>> enough for me to implement some roaming with debian's ifupdown and
>> wpa_supplicant (and ifupdown *does* have some severe limitations when
>> compared to baselayout, maybe some advantages too ;-).
>
> Thanks for the kind words :)
>
> Just out of curiosity, can ifupdown handle this?

The problem is that ifupdown records the 'state' of an interface:

> ifup eth0 (or some other trigger)

You mean e.g. a cardbus card has been inserted and udev triggers a ifup
eth0.

> netplugd is launched
> netplugd triggers ifup eth0 as cable is in

ifup will fail with 'interface already configured'

> wpa_supplicant is launched with -Dwired on eth0
> wpa_cli triggers final ifup eth0

and here again.

> Just curios as I had a forum request for Gentoo to handle that and it took
> some time to get it working as all enterance points from daemons are net.eth0
> start.

The problem here is to define what 'configuring an interface' actually
means, because ifupdown has its own POV about this.

Greetings,
	Reinhard