wpa_cli event handling (revisited)

Kel Modderman kelrin
Sat May 27 00:53:04 PDT 2006

Kel Modderman wrote:
> Roy Marples wrote:

>>> Well, wpa_cli is terminating itself (wpa_cli -i iface terminate), and if
>>> a wpa_action script is active, and the iface is associated/connected, I
>>> thought that maybe the wpa_action script should be taking down the iface
>>> too.
>>>

>> Then you may have a race. Gentoo init scripts can take care of this, but other
>> distro's may not be so flexible.
>>
>> I would say that if wpa_supplicant terminates then it should send a DISCONNECT
>> to wpa_cli causing the script to run. However, if I terminate wpa_cli I may
>> not want the DISCONNECT even to happen as wpa_supplicant which controls the
>> link may be running still so the link is still valid.
>>

> Okay, I totally agree with all of that.

And many thanks for your advice, Roy. Your fine "software engineering"
advice coupled with the new id_str identifier from Jouni is more than
enough for me to implement some roaming with debian's ifupdown and
wpa_supplicant (and ifupdown *does* have some severe limitations when
compared to baselayout, maybe some advantages too ;-).

Thanks, Kel.