wpa_supplicant with bridge

Chris Baechle bangular
Tue May 16 13:28:35 PDT 2006

> I'm using wpa_supplicant 0.5.3, hostapd 0.4.8, madwifi_ng r1472
> (20060311).

I went ahead and installed a clean system (debian testing). Compiled
the latest wpa_supplicant, hostapd, and latest madwifi.

Unlike before, it now works as at least a regular wireless client
(without bridging of any sort). However, when I add the interface to
the bridge (brctl addif br0 ath0), it disconnects from the AP. I tried
doing it in different orders with no such luck.

The command I used was:
wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dmadwifi -iath0 -bbr0 -ddd

My wpa_supplicant.conf:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
        ssid="bridgetest"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=WPA
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        psk="1234567890"
}

dmesg:
br0: port 1(ath0) entering learning state
br0: port 1(ath0) entering disabled state
br0: port 1(ath0) entering learning state
br0: port 1(ath0) entering learning state
br0: port 1(ath0) entering disabled state
(at a rate of about 1 message per second)

Also, I keep getting an IOCTL error message from wpa_supplicant:
ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME]: Invalid argument

I've attached the output of wpa_supplicant as well.

Here's my order of doing things:
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig ath0 0.0.0.0
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
ifconfig br0 up
brctl setfd br0 0
wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dmadwifi -iath0 -bbr0 -ddd
brctl addif br0 ath0