Automatic disabling of Windows WZC

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat May 6 21:42:48 PDT 2006

I added some experimental code to automatically disable WZC (Microsoft
component for managing wireless interfaces and EAPOL/EAP/WPA
authentication) when wpa_supplicant is started. This code is using an
undocumented interface (wzcsapi) that has already changed number of
times, so it is not exactly most stable mechanism.. Anyway, I tried to
make the implementation handle error cases without problems; one just
has to disable WZC manually if the automatic mechanism does not work.

So far, I have only tested this on WinXP SP2. If someone has easy access
to other versions (Win2k, XP without service packs, XP SP1, XP SP2
without WPA/WPA2 updates, Win2003), it would be interesting to hear
whether this change works on those versions and even more importantly,
whether it breaks anything. A snapshot build with this change can be
downloaded from
http://hostap.epitest.fi/releases/snapshots/wpa_supplicant-windows-bin-0.5-2006-05-06.zip