IEEE 802.11i/D9.0 diffs with IEEE 802.11i/D3.0 ?

Jim Howard JHoward
Tue Jan 10 07:46:00 PST 2006

In testing various routers and adapter cards I have found that only a
few cards will work with the Netgear model WPN824 RangeMax router.  This
router is said to use MIMO technology with 7 smart antennas.

This router has a 'WPA2 Personal' mode.  I find only a few adapter cards
can connect to this router when it is in this mode.  For those that do,
wpa_supplicant reports "RSN: using IEEE 802.11i/D9.0".  When this and
other routers are placed in what I thought was the normal WPA2 mode by
specifying WPA-PSK with AES only then wpa_supplicant reports "WPA: using
IEEE 802.11i/D3.0".

Does anyone know the difference between the D3.0 and D9.0 modes, and
also what if any differences there are in the AP beacons for these two
modes?

Thanks

Jim Howard