wpa_supplicant v0.4.7/0.5.1 authentication timeout / disassociate / associate loop

Sunny James Fugate sunny
Sat Feb 11 23:06:45 PST 2006

I am having an impossible time getting the wpa_supplicant to
authenticate using WPA or WPA2 with my wireless router (Airport
Extreme Base Station).  I'm running the 0.4.7 version of hostap and
wpa_supplicant and have gotten things working to the point where
wpa_supplicant is associated with the base station and is in the
midst of the 4-Way handshake.  It seems to just loop round and
continues to receive the following (where 00:00:00:00:00:00 is a
zero'ed version of my correct BSSID)
  ----
 >Associated with 00:00:00:00:00:0
. . .
 >WPA: RX message 1 of 4-Way Handshake from 00:00:00:00:00:00
. . .
 >Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.
- - ----
Then the association and authentication and it starts over and loops
forever.

I do get a couple of strange things in the debug output.

 >SIOCGIWRANGE: too old (short) data - assuming WPA is not supported
 > . . .
(I just ignored this as it seemed it was just saying that the pci
card did not support WPA)

After it is associated it sends the EAPOL-Key 2/4

 >WPA: Sending EAPOL-Key 2/4

And then it receives message 1 of 4 from the base station again???
Is this a base station error or did the 2nd part of the handshake not
get received by the base station so it is resending the first part?

 >WPA: RX message 1 of 4-Way Handshake from 00:00:00:00:00:00

It just keeps doing this process indefinitely.

Is this a known problem with authenticating to some base-stations?
Has anyone else tried this with an Apple Airport Base Station?

My Airport logs don't tell me anything that I don't already know,
that it is associating and disassociating.

I am completely stuck at this point and seem to have exhausted all
options but browsing the doxygen source code and trying to figure out
what is going wrong.

My config file has gone through a myriad of contortions trying to get
things working.  Its current state is:

eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

network={
		ssid="myssid"
		scan_ssid=0
		bssid=00:00:00:00:00:00
		proto=WPA
		key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
		proactive_key_caching=1
		auth_alg=OPEN
		psk="mypsk"
}

I have also tried a very simple config with the same results

network={
		ssid="myssid"
		psk="mypsk"
}