wpa_supplicant: WPA: EAPOL-Key Replay Counter did not increase - dropping packet

Vidar Normann vidarno
Fri Feb 3 08:39:32 PST 2006

Hi guys and girls!

I'm using wpa_supplicant with a simple network with success, almost.
The problem is that sometimes I get the error from the subject of this mail:

WPA: EAPOL-Key Replay Counter did not increase - dropping packet

It seems to occur at random times and lasts for varying degrees of time.
If I'm at the computer at the time it happens I can "fix" the problem by
killing wpa_supplicant and starting it again, followed by an ifdown/ifup for
the wlan0 interface.

I've tried googling this, but can't seem to find a solution for the problem,
the only one I can think of myself would be a program that would check
the output from wpa_supplicant and automagically kill it when the error
occured, but why does the error appear in the first place?

Hoping for your help,
Vidar Normann

Specs:
Belkin wireless adapter F5D7000 version 3, driver loaded through
ndiswrapper (bcmwl5a)
Belkin Pre-N Router with WPA-PSK key