Recent Snapshots: Use of the Windows Registry by wpa_svc but does the wpa_supplicant?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Aug 28 20:16:31 PDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 07:53:12AM -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:

> I understand that the service form of the wpa_supplicant uses the
> Windows Registry to identify the WIFI NIC to use.
>
> Q: Does this imply that the wpa_supplicant does as well?

No, wpa_supplicant.exe uses the command like parameter for selecting the
adapter name.

> Q: If it does, then it would follow that I could update the registry
> with NIC strings and send a reconfig command to the service and expect
> that the service would then use the new NIC string(s) in the
> registry....right?

That would not work with either wpasvc.exe or wpa_supplicant.exe since
this part of the configuration is not updated on reconfig command. If
you want to dynamically add or remove interfaces, you can use the global
control interface and INTERFACE_ADD/REMOVE commands.