ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Connection timed out - Could not communicate with the kernel driver.

laurent.maureen at laposte.net laurent.maureen
Sat Aug 5 11:01:41 PDT 2006

Alec Waters wrote:

 > I'm trying to get hostap working on the gumstix platform
(www.gumstix.com). It's running kernel 2.6.17, with the kernel hostap
driver. I'm using a DLink DCF 660W CF WiFi card.

 > I think there's something pretty fundamental going wrong here. It's
most likely the grey stuff between my ears, but on the off-chance it's
not, here's what I'm seeing.

I have just solved a problem that I had on a laptop which had some
similar mistakes that you described for your gumstix.
Indeed there were orinoco and hostap which were loaded at the same time
though pccardctl showed only hostap_cs driver.

try : lsmod | grep pcmcia

in order to see if it's the same for you.

In this case comment every line in the /etc/pcmcia/config file which
matches your card. On each line found in the file above you should see
that your card is bound to orinoco driver.
Don't forget to do  : kill -SIGHUP pid_of_cardmgr
after having modified /etc/pcmcia/config

I hope that helps you.

Laur.