Patches to use madwifi-ng with hostapd-0.4.6 and wpa_supplicant-0.4.6

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Nov 8 18:31:05 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:42:24PM -0300, Beat Meier wrote:

> New version of wireless.h don't define anymore some includes.

I don't know what you are refering to with "new version", but the latest
release, i.e., WE-19, does include linux/types.h, linux/socket.h, and
linux/if.h.

> Changes of drivers like madwifi will affect always hostapd, wpa_supplicant
> because of changes of wireless packages.

Changes of the drivers should not affect (well, assuming they would use
just Linux Wireless Extensions), but changes of WE do indeed affect user
space programs.

> Why was wireless_copy.h added?

Because linux/wireless.h cannot be included in user space programs
without major compatibility problems with libc header files. Another
reason is in being able to build one binary that supports multiple WE
versions.

> Madwifi has added now iwlib.h instead of linnux/wireless.h as you stated
> before
> should not be included in userspace progs because of kernel space headers.
> But iwlib.h would be the right inlcude also for hostapd, wpa_supplicant?

No, the license of iwlib is not compatible with hostapd/wpa_supplicant.

> Please let me know if anything is against this approch.

I cannot accept changes to hostapd/wpa_supplicant that would make them
GPL only. I'm fine with the change that went already in into subversion,
i.e., just #ifdef __KERNEL__ around all include statements in header
files that are also linked into user space programs. I can include
whatever libc headers I want to make this work for
hostapd/wpa_supplicant and the header files are still functional for the
kernel code without any other changes.

> We are trying to find the way so everything works together again with
> madwifi-ng.
>
> Here are my patch proposel.
> This are all against wpa_supplicant-0.4.6 and hostapd-0.4.6

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at this, but that may have to wait till
Saturday.

> Please let me know as soon as possible if we can go this way so we can
> work on at madwifi
> and do the changes.

What changes are needed on the driver side?