Problem with WPA-PSK

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat May 7 23:39:31 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:10:45PM +0100, Nicolas Labrosse wrote:

> I want to use Wifi on my laptop and I use wpa_supplicant with atheros card AR5212. It works if I choose WEP encryption but I can't get it to work if I choose WPA-PSK.

What AP are you using? Can you please send a wpa_supplicant debug log
without removing the packet dumps ("obscured" in the log you sent)? If
you can easily capture a packet log, e.g., with tcpdump or Ethereal,
from the client ('ifconfig ath0 up' and start sniffer before starting
wpa_supplicant), it could also be useful for looking at what is
happening.

> Associated with 00:05:b4:07:e9:91

> EAPOL: Port Timers tick - authWhile=0 heldWhile=0 startWhen=29 idleWhile=59
> EAPOL: Port Timers tick - authWhile=0 heldWhile=0 startWhen=28 idleWhile=58
> EAPOL: Port Timers tick - authWhile=0 heldWhile=0 startWhen=27 idleWhile=57
> EAPOL: Port Timers tick - authWhile=0 heldWhile=0 startWhen=26 idleWhile=56
> EAPOL: Port Timers tick - authWhile=0 heldWhile=0 startWhen=25 idleWhile=55
> EAPOL: Port Timers tick - authWhile=0 heldWhile=0 startWhen=24 idleWhile=54
> RX EAPOL from 00:05:b4:07:e9:8e

This is somewhat odd behavior from the AP. First, it takes six seconds
to send out the first EAPOL-Key frame and the frame seems to be coming
from another MAC address. Do you happen to know whether this address
would be the MAC address of the wired interface?