Help with hostap 0.2.6 and with 0.1.3

Vivek Srivastava vivs
Tue Mar 8 06:28:54 PST 2005

Hello everyone,
This question might be a little old looking at the current hostap versions out there. However, I am stuck with an old version of the kernel. I am trying to install hostap-driver-0.2.6 to my RedHat Linux 9.0 box(kernel: 2.4.20-8). Initially when I tried to install I got an error saying that it did not find a .config file. So I went to /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8 and did a make xconfig and created a .config file without changing the existing kernel configuration.
Later it complained about not finding the defs.h file in /usr/src/build/231485-i386/install/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/fs/jfs. So I created a symbolic link in /usr/src/build/231485-i386/install to /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8 where the folder fs is located.
So I could compile then without any problem but there were certain warnings such as "EISA_bus" redefined which I ignored and went on.
I later did a make install but then I am confronted with the following error to which I do not know what to do.
On doing a make install I get:
/sbin/depmod -ae
****Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/net hostap.o
depmod: _read_lock_failed
depmod: _write_lock_failed

I get the same error when it tries to install hostap_cs.o, hostap_pci.o and hostap_plx.o.

I did read somewhere that sometimes a configuration file mismatch i.e. the running kernel configuration (which I think is in /boot directory) and the .config file in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8 could mismatch. But I have not installed any other wireless card or external pcmcia-cs package on my machine. Also, I did a rpm-qa| grep pcmcia to find out the pcmcia version I have and it says pcmcia-cs-3.1.31...so I did not feel the need to install an external pcmcia-cs package.
Also, the machine I am using is a Dell Inspiron 5100.

I get similar errors with hostap-driver-0.1.3

I am really stuck with this problem for a long time and I would like hostap to work since wlan-ng does not give me enough options. I am using a Linksys WPC11ver3 card.
Any sort of help in this matter will be appreciated and is badly needed.
Thanks a lot
Vivek.