Q: automatically modprobing hostap_crypt_tkip

Andrei Mikhailovsky mlists
Wed Jul 20 11:05:31 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 18:32 +0200, Tilman Schoop wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am curious how I can automatically load the tkip
> module for hostap driver.
>
> when I do
> iwconfig ath0 enc ...
> the module hostap_crypt_wep is loaded automatically. But when
> I use wpa_supplicant in a WPA environment with tkip and
> the module hostap_crypt_tkip is not loaded, then wpa_supplicant
> cannot connect. modprobing the module manually before start of
> wpa_supplicant solves this.
>
> But how is this done automatically?
> is the access to the module functions different to the manner iwconfig
> accesses hostap_crypt_wep?

One way of doing it, depending on your distribution, is to add the name
of the module to /etc/modules.conf or similar file. This will load the
named module during the startup.

Another way is to add the script to load the modules in the ifup/ifdown.
In debian it would be in /etc/networking/if-pre-up.d or in
the /etc/networking/interfaces

--
Andrei