can't get WPA-PSK working with ipw2100 against linksys WRT54G

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Jul 5 08:42:39 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:30:53AM -0500, Mike Campbell wrote:

> I've tried about all I can think of and still can't get a WPA
> connection to work on my Fedora FC4 box. I can get WEP working just
> fine using the ipw2100 drivers but WPA always fails with the same
> error. I have tried version 3.9 and 4.3 but no difference in the
> outcome.

Which version of the ipw2100 driver are you using? You might also
consider testing wpa_supplicant v0.3.8 since ipw driver interface was
changed and the ipw2100/2200 drivers may not be fully in sync with the
driver interface. wpa_supplicant 0.3.9 changes this interface to a newer
one, so if your driver is still using the old version, 0.3.8 may work
better.

> When I run wpa_supplicant I see 2 possible problem areas:
>
> I see the below message repeated 5-6 times each with a different
> key_idx value but always the operation not supported and failed to set
> encryption:
>
> wpa_driver_ipw_set_key: alg=none key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
> ioctl[IPW_IOCTL_WPA_SUPPLICANT]: Operation not supported
> Failed to set encryption.

This is likely to be fine; wpa_supplicant just tries to make sure old
keys are removed and the driver may report that it fails to remove keys
that were not configured in the first place.

> Then later on when it scans the AP's it is not able to find a suitable
> one as I get:
>
> Received 781 bytes of scan results (4 BSSes)
> Scan results: 4
> Selecting BSS from priority group 5
> 0: 00:13:10:32:af:21 ssid='MCAMPBELL' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
>    skip - no WPA/RSN IE

> For some reason the wpa_ie_len and rsn_ie_len is 0 for all found AP.

This is more serious issue. It looks like the driver does not report
that the AP is using WPA. Unless you are already using the latest
version of the driver, I would recommend updating it first.