Failed to get WPA/RSN information element - update

Toshiki Kaifu www.confero24.com toshiki
Mon Jul 4 08:01:12 PDT 2005

Just to make sure that the problem originally reported at
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2005-July/010790.html is not
because of some mysterious doing of Win-XP supplicant, I compiled and
installed wpa_supplicant on a Linux 2.6.9 laptop and tried to authenticate
with the *802.11a/b/g Madwifi AP* with the same PCMCIA (that didn't work
on Win-XP).

wpa_supplicant compiled and ran fine, but seems to be doing nothing much
more.  Here's some output...

zagreb:~# iwconfig ath0
ath0      IEEE 802.11a  ESSID:"apsol54"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.22 GHz  Access Point:
00:0B:6B:34:37:0F
          Bit Rate:36 Mb/s   Tx-Power:50 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/94  Signal level=-95 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm Rx
invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0 Tx
excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

... which may be saying that the madwifi driver and hostapd didn't yet
associate to each other.  Am I correct in this conclusion?

I had MADWIFI enabled in .config file for compiling wpa_supplicant.

# Driver interface for madwifi driver
CONFIG_DRIVER_MADWIFI=y
# Change include directories to match with the local setup
# CFLAGS += -I/usr/src/madwifi/wpa

The CFLAGS... is commented out because I don't have such a directory
(./wpa) in my madwifi source directory.

Some of the output on screen on running /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant is:

zagreb:~# wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D madwifi -d
----
Initializing interface 'ath0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver
'madwifi'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=2
fast_reauth=0
Priority group 10
   id=0 ssid='apsol54'
Initializing interface (2) 'ath0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
Own MAC address: 00:0b:6b:20:0b:13
wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key: keyidx=0
wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key: keyidx=1
wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key: keyidx=2
wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key: keyidx=3
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'ath0' added
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'ath0' added
Trying to associate with SSID 'apsol54'
Cancelling scan request
Automatic auth_alg selection: 0x1
WPA: Set cipher suites based on configuration
WPA: Selected cipher suites: group 30 pairwise 24 key_mgmt 1
WPA: using GTK CCMP
WPA: using PTK CCMP
WPA: using KEY_MGMT 802.1X
WPA: Own WPA IE - hexdump(len=22): 30 14 01 00 00 0f ac 04 01 00 00 0f ac
04 01 00 00 0f ac 01 00 00
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
wpa_driver_madwifi_associate
Setting authentication timeout: 5 sec 0 usec
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto
Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.
BSSID 00:00:00:00:00:00 blacklist count incremented to 6
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
Setting scan request: 0 sec 0 usec
Trying to associate with SSID 'apsol54'
Cancelling scan request
Automatic auth_alg selection: 0x1
WPA: Set cipher suites based on configuration
WPA: Selected cipher suites: group 30 pairwise 24 key_mgmt 1
WPA: using GTK CCMP
WPA: using PTK CCMP
WPA: using KEY_MGMT 802.1X
WPA: Own WPA IE - hexdump(len=22): 30 14 01 00 00 0f ac 04 01 00 00 0f ac
04 01 00 00 0f ac 01 00 00
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
wpa_driver_madwifi_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
wpa_driver_madwifi_associate
Setting authentication timeout: 5 sec 0 usec
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b1a len=21
----

Sorry for the verbose output, but thought I'd provide all the data that
maybe useful.

What am I doing wrong.  What else should I try?

Thanks
Toshiki Kaifu

--
http://www.confero24.com

> Friends,
>
> Having used hostapd with hostap-driver for a long and happy time, I have
been trying to get hostapd be the 802.11i/WPA authenticator for my
*802.11a/b/g Madwifi* AP (Linux 2.4.26).

> Setup is:
>
> Access Point:
> * AR5212 based CM9 a/b/g miniPCI
>   http://www.confero24.com/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=139
> * Madwifi driver (snapshot of 20/06/2005)
> * hostapd v0.3.7 (on Linux 2.4.26) - works perfect with hostap-driver
>
> Client:
> * AR5210 based b/g PCMCIA
>   http://www.wneweb.com.tw/wireless/products/cb9.htm
> * Win-XP SP2
> * Driver from Atheros (apparently version 3.3.0.156)
>
> Basically the hostapd driver seems to startup cleanly, except for the
mysterious
>>> l2_packet_receive - recv: Network is down, which apparently can be
> ignored (according to a past list message by Jouni)
>
> However I can't get the above PCMCIA to authenticate w/ the hostapd AP
due to folln error:

> ----
> Deauthenticate all stations
> l2_packet_receive - recv: Network is down
> Wireless event: cmd=0x8b19 len=12
> Wireless event: cmd=0x8c03 len=20
> ath0: STA 00:0b:6b:20:0b:13 IEEE 802.11: associated
>   New STA
> *ioctl[unknown???]: Invalid argument*
> *Failed to get WPA/RSN information element.*
> Wireless event: cmd=0x8c03 len=20
> ----
>
> Apparently the right WPA/RSN header is not being sent by the PCMCIA or
received by the Madwifi+hostapd.  This is with AP locked with iwpriv in
(mode=1) 11a/5GHz

> Interestingly this same PCMCIA card works perfect with hostap + hostapd
setup under EAP-TLS, PEAP w/ TKIP.  11b/2.4GHz