VLAN & HosAP driver question

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Feb 23 19:17:07 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:12:07PM +0200, dancho wrote:

> I have a project for implementing VLAN functionality in HostAP driver.
> The idea is that the HostAP driver use different ESSID to simulate
> multiple LANs(VLAN.)
> My questions is if that is technically possible and eventually what
> obstacle I could met in designing this feature.

The current Prism2/2.5/3 firmware does not support this.

> 1. The BEACON frames - I was told that the firmware generates these frames
> and the driver does not have access to this frames. Is that true?

Yes.

> 2. Is it possible the driver to change ESSID on every frame?

Well, you could try to switch between the different SSIDs, but it would
be quite horrible hack and I would not really recommend trying to get
this working with the current Prism2/2.5/3 firmware. Selecting a
different wlan card design would make this much easier. The card would
either need to provide Probe Request frames to the driver or support
multiple SSIDs internally in firmware.