Patch: running external commands from wpa_supplicant

Henrik Brix Andersen brix
Wed Feb 23 06:04:33 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 19:11 -0800, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> I'm hoping to be able to drop root privileges from most of the
> wpa_supplicant operation. If I understood correctly, you would like to
> be able to run external commands that are likely to require root
> privileges, which is against the goal of getting wpa_supplicant to not
> need root privileges for most of the code..

I see your point.

> If you believe that it would be better to to get calls to external
> programs, one option would be to write a minimal daemon that opens a
> connection to wpa_supplicant control interface and takes care of calling
> these external programs. This should eliminate both of my objections
> about blocking wpa_supplicant and extra requirement for root privileges.

Yes, this would solve the above issues and integrate well with the
next-generation Gentoo networking scripts.

Would you want to write this daemon yourself and include it in
wpa_supplicant - or would you rather keep it as a separate project?

Sincerely,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <brix at gentoo.org>