Two Senao PCMCIA cards in Mips AMD Alchemy board

Josh Green jgreen
Wed Feb 2 10:38:20 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 10:01 -0800, Chris wrote:
> Josh Green wrote:
>
> >Hello, I'm attempting to turn an embedded AMD Alchemy board into a
> >wireless access point and bridge between a point to point link.  For
> >this I am using 2 Senao 200mW 802.11b cards (the one with 2 antenna
> >

> <snip>
>
> >When this happens, one card will function correctly (wlan0 available,
> >etc) but the other one will not (no wlan1).  I can get things to work
> >sometimes if I start PCMCIA then insert one card, wait a bit and then
> >the other.  I've posted this to the Linux MIPS list also, in case its a
> >MIPS related problem, but I thought I'd check here as well.
> >I noticed in the hostap_cs.c file this:
> >

> I know nothing about the Alchemy product, but I can tell you that I have
> two Prism2.5-based PCMCIA cards in an x86-based board, with TI PCI1520
> PCI/PCMCIA bridge chips and the cards both come up properly.  The kernel
> module used for the PCMCIA hardware is yenta, hostap_cs is v 0.2.4,
> kernel 2.4.26.
>
> >If anyone has any ideas on resolving these issues or can confirm them
> >

> One thing that springs to mind is the maturity of PCMCIA support
> provided for the Alchemy... perhaps this is a more generic problem with
> multiple PCMCIA cards on that platform?
>
> Chris.

Thats also what I suspect, just wanted to make sure.  I am using kernel
2.6.11-rc2 though, so I suppose it could still be possible there is some
faulty interaction in regards to the kernel version and hostap.  I'll
look into it more.  I am curious if the problem is that
pcmcia_request_io() gets called twice with the same client_handle_t
pointer.  Looking at the PCMCIA docs, it sounds as if a client handle is
bound to a particular PCMCIA socket, so it would seem there should be
two client handles then?  Anyways, thanks for the info.
	Best regards,
	Josh Green