Connecting to unencrypted AP fails

Mark and Loretta Goldberg goldber
Sun Aug 7 19:13:01 PDT 2005

I cannot get wpa_supplicant to connect to an unencrypted AP. Connecting to a WPA encrypted AP works fine.

I am using wpa_supplicant 4.3, ndiswrapper 1.2, both compiled on Fedora Core 4. The ndis driver is the latest broadcom
driver from HP for the Compaq R3000z laptop.

The following is repeated forever:

Trying to associate with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (SSID='YYYYY' freq=2437 MHz)
Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is as follows with the names changed to protect the innocent:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=controlgroup
network={
 ssid="workingnetwork"
 psk="workingpassword"
 priority=5
 key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
 }
network={
 disabled=1
 priority=1
 key_mgmt=NONE
 }
network={
 ssid="linksys"
 disabled=1
 priority=2
 key_mgmt=NONE
 }

I use wpa_gui to select the network to connect to.

The first network works every time. The others never do. It seems to select the correct AP to try to associate with
but it fails over and over.

This seems similar to bug #38 but I am using a different driver.

Has anyone successfully connected to an unencrypted AP, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Mark Goldberg