OT: detecting bad WEP passwords

Tony Espy espy
Wed Apr 13 09:08:12 PDT 2005

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I figure someone on this list
might know the answer...

Does anyone know how OS X detects that a WEP password is bad?  I was
under the assumption that there's no way to determine that a WEP
password was bad using Open Key Authentication.  My boss just won $10 of
  me when he typed in an incorrect password for a WEP AP, and OS X told
him that the password was incorrect.

Normally, when the password is bad, DHCP fails because the packets sent
to the DHCP server cannot be decrypted by the AP, and hence DHCP
eventually times out.  I'm not sure how to tell the difference between
this scenario, and the scenario where the password is correct, but
there's no DHCP server on the network ( or the AP's ethernet cable is
unplugged ).

thanks,
Tony Espy
Pepper Computer