Ad-Hoc scanning measurements

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Apr 6 19:11:27 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:39:31PM +0200, Christian B?nnig wrote:

> I want to do some measurements concerning active scanning time in ad-hoc
> mode of 802.11b cards and I am currently browsing the hostap-driver
> source code to find suitable places for timestamp logging (i.e. places
> where active scanning get's finally issued and a where it is finally
> finished). But as I am not that experienced with C and the source is
> documented quite rarely I am not sure where to exactly place such
> timestamp loggings.

I have not tested scanning very thoroughly in ad-hoc mode, but I would
guess that you would be better off with another card for this kind of
experiment since most of the scanning is done in the firmware.

> Further I'd like to change how ad-hoc nodes handle probe-requests for
> testing alternative handoff procedures.. is there a chance to control
> management frame handling if the card is not in AP mode? If it is, could
> I use 'hostapd' for this or is it necessary to hack the hostap-driver code?.

What do you mean with handoff in context of ad-hoc mode? Please note
that IBSS mode does not require any management frames apart from Beacon
and Probe Req/Resp, i.e., there is no requirement for Authentication
frames and no Association, for that matter.