wpa_supplicant, madwifi and WEP?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Apr 3 10:44:27 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:07:01AM -0400, Gonzalo Diethelm wrote:

> 1. Does wpa_supplicant support configuring a connection with static WEP
> passwords (what I would call the typical configuration you see on a
> Windows machine using WiFi with some kind of protection)?

Yes, this is supported.

> 2. If yes, is this supported with an Atheros-based (madwifi) card?

Yes, it is. However, it looks like configured Shared Key authentication
was not implemented and your example was using this (auth_alg=SHARED). I
had no problems with Open System authentication, though.

I added some code for configuring authentication algorithm to
driver_madwifi.c, but this did not seem to be enough. The driver seemed
to be forgetting the configured value for some reason. It would be nice,
if someone with better understanding of the madwifi driver would be
interested in figuring this out..

As a workaround, it seemed to be possible to manually configure the
driver into using Shared Key authentication with 'iwpriv ath0 authmode
2' before starting wpa_supplicant. For some reason, doing the exact same
ioctl() from wpa_supplicant before association did not help, i.e.,
something else is apparently needed to trigger this change in madwifi
authmode.