Ethics question

Erich Noll enoll1
Sat Apr 2 08:26:23 PST 2005

Hello all,

in my time experimenting with wireless networking, using the iwlist
wlan0 scan command I've discovered at least three unsecure wireless
networks being emanated by my neighbors.  I know who one of them belongs
to, but not the others.

Would it be ethical to connect to these unsecure networks with the only
intention of trying to determine which neighbors they belong to for the
purpose of letting them know the dangers of an unsecure wireless access
point and possibly assisting them with locking them down?

What ARE the dangers of leaving your wireless network unsecured?

Thanks in advance.

Erich Noll