Relicensing hostapd under dual GPL/BSD license

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Sep 26 23:07:26 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:54:22PM -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> There has been some discussion on using hostapd with *BSD. One of the
> question is on the used license. I'm looking into relicensing hostapd
> under dual GPL/BSD license, i.e., adding BSD to the current license in
> the same way as core code in wpa_supplicant is released.

Thank you to people who have contributed patches to hostapd. I received
permission to relicense changes under dual GPL/BSD license and
consequently, I believe that all parts of hostapd are now covered by
this dual license. This means that 0.3.0 release is likely to be the
first dual licensed version of hostapd.

For future contirutions to hostapd (and wpa_supplicant for that matter),
I would prefer to receive them under a license that allows integration
into dual licensed code base. The easiest way for this is to use
identical dual GPL/BSD license. Other options are considered on case by
case basis, but I'm likely to require a license that is compatible with
both GPL and BSD for contributions to core code in hostapd and
wpa_supplicant.

One exception area for dual GPL/BSD license is the driver interface
code (driver_*.c). Prefered license for them is also dual GPL/BSD, but
I'm more willing to use other licenses to make it easier to integrate
interface code from external sources into my CVS tree. This may add some
complexity for binary distributions which may have to exclude some of
the driver interfaces unless a compatible license (e.g., GPL in case
of current wpa_supplicant CVS tree) is suitable for the distribution.
Each driver interface code can be easily excluded from the build, so
this should not be a major problem.