Windows computer cannot associate with HostAP access point

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Oct 24 12:39:12 PDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 03:23:07PM -0400, Andrew Barr wrote:

> I have set up a combination router/AP on a Linux box using HostAP. The
> wireless AP has WPA-EAP as it's security, using FreeRADIUS as a backend
> server. I cannot get one of the Windows computers in this house to even
> associate with my HostAP box. My Linux laptop, both with an ipw2100 and a
> dwl-650P, are fine. The Windows laptop has a no-name WLAN card based on the
> RealTek 8180L chipset. The drivers are the latest, supporting TKIP and
> TKIP/AES (whatever that is, it's from the driver package README). I believe I
> have configured my AP to accept both CCMP (from the Linux clients) and TKIP
> (for the Windows client). hostapd.conf is below. I was able to use this
> machine fine before with a USR8054 router using WPA-EAP and TKIP.

Number of Windows client implementations seem to have interoperability
issues with mixed TKIP + CCMP mode. Could you please try first by just
enabling WPA v1 and TKIP (i.e., wpa=1 and wpa_pairwise=TKIP in
hostapd.conf)?